HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2016, 05:41:18 AM
Username:
Password: 

Login with username, password and session length
Search

Stats
1,853 Posts in 716 Topics by 3,172 Members
Latest Member: Thomasneof
+  SteamSaunaBath User Forum
|-+  Luxury Bath Environment
| |-+  Experiential Bathing
| | |-+  Looking to build a home gym with steam bath and sauna; total environment room.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Looking to build a home gym with steam bath and sauna; total environment room.  (Read 9687 times)
sirlancelot

« on: June 15, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »

I want to build a gym in my summer beach house in the Hampton's and I want to include a steam bath and sauna and probably a whirlpool tub as well. I believe you call this a environment room. I have limited space available to dedicate so I can only use a space about 40' long by 20' deep for the steam and sauna. That does not include the space for my gym which has already been allocated. I would like to be able to accommodate 8-10 people in each room. The steam room will of course be imported Italian marble and the sauna Western red cedar. The only issue I have is that there are continuous windows across one wall facing the ocean and I want the steam room and sauna to face the beach. I am not concerned about any nosey Parker's since it is a private beach. And I do not wish to lose the beach view. I have trades people on staff so labor is not an issue. What I am looking for is the right equipment for my application.
I know nothing about steam baths and saunas aside from what I have visited at the club but I have found in life the best things are not free. I want the best and your best person to advise me on this. What can you suggest and what do you need from me.
papajack

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 10:57:28 PM »

Hello and Welcome!
Wow, that sounds awesome! Super jealous!  The only thing I can offer relates to the windows, make sure they get/are sealed properly and the frames are insulated, the last thing you want is cold air getting in!

I am still in the design phase myself, so I just wanted to get in early and follow this thread, can't wait to see the result!

My 2 cents.

--
PJ
Jennifer
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53:40 AM »

Excellent to hear you are looking to enhance your bathing experiences. You have certainly found the right place.
We can help you design, consult with the trades and provide the equipment for your project.

Check out this design Rediscover Bathing

And contact a Project Coordinator here at SteamSaunaBath 800-707-2862 to further discuss how we can help you plan your project.
sirlancelot

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »

I checked out your rediscover bathing and found it enlightening but perhaps a bit cramped for me. I think for the sauna I will go with something like the PB 1212 by Amerec on your web site. Would you recommend that room?
For the steam room i am also doing a 12x12 marble room and using the Pro-1150. Is this a good choice?
Jennifer
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »

Are you looking for assistance in designing the layout to include the bathroom and then the two environments of steam room 12x12 and sauna room 12x12?  Like the blueprint layout shown in the Rediscovering Bathing link we provided?
Or are you only looking for equipment recommendations?
Do you want chromalighting, aroma, audio, etc.?
sirlancelot

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 04:14:54 PM »

Wow, i missed the blue print the first time around. That may be what i am looking for but keep in mind these are unisex rooms but not unisex bathrooms. Maybe a rest area between the sauna and steam and a cold plunge in there as well.
Jennifer
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »

First, let's take a look at the sauna.
To determine how many people can fit in a sauna we would figure about 2 feet or more per person.  In a sauna room, the upper bench is used more than the lower bench as that is where the heat is.  The room is cooler when sitting on the lower bench.  We can see if the design will accommodate L-shaped benching to allow for as much seating as possible.
Attached is a proposed CAD drawing of a 12x12x96 sauna room with benching on all walls.
We look to custom cut rooms as they are a sturdier and permanent construction as opposed to a Pre-Built room.
Is this design something you would agree with?
Custom Cut 12x12
sirlancelot

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »

I like that, but don't forget I have 1 wall that is all windows. I'm thinking either take out the benches on the back wall or maybe 1 of the side walls.
DO you recommend a certain ceiling height?
How about lighting in the sauna?
Jennifer
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:04:25 AM »

Ideal finished ceiling height is 7 feet (which is 84 inches).  Depending on your space will determine how we can layout the sauna room being that either we loose the back wall benching or the side wall benching.  Ideally the back wall being all glass will still give us a fair amount of seating with benching being on the left wall and right wall.
For lighting you have the option of recessed ceiling mount lights and/or valance lighting.  Both of which are white lighting.
Do you have the available space in an area where you can enter the sauna room without having to go through the bathroom first?
sirlancelot

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:57:57 AM »

Okay, 7 foot is good but will that allow me to have both an upper and lower bench?
I think the widows on the back wall is a good idea and the space is open now so we can configure this any way you like.
I wouldn't mind some color lights like you show on your rediscover bathing link. Can I have that?
Jennifer
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »

Yes, 7 foot high allows for enough head room and is the preferred height.  A sauna room any higher does not perform as well.  Each bench is 18" high, so with an upper and lower configuration it is a total of 36" high which leaves head room of 48 inches (or 4 feet).  The upper bench is in use far more than the lower since we want to sit where the room is the hotest.  The lower bench is for cooler bathing and mostly serves as a step to get to the upper bench.

We envision the layout I already provided with the exception of the back wall.  The left and right benching will terminate at the door wall and window.  At the window, it will terminate with armrests as we likely would not have the cedar wood benching butted up against the window.  The only space lost on the benching is the space where the heater is located.  A bather likely won't want to sit there.
sirlancelot

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »

Okay, I'm liking that. Can I pipe music into the room as well?
By the way I did not see the puck lights on your web site. where can I get those?
Jennifer
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »

For music iinside the sauna, you can mount speakers on the wall close to the floor.  It we put them in the ceiling or high on a wall, they won't hold up to the heat.  Floor could be around 70 degrees while the ceiling can be nearly 200 degrees.
Install the speakers and hook up to your own home stereo system.
If you have an iPod, you can bring into the sauna a speaker device that docks your iPod.  I have portable speakers for my iPod and they work just fine in my sauna.
patchpal

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »

Sounds good to me. Now do yo have any suggestions on my 12x12 marble steam room.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Copyright 2003-2016 © Steam Sauna Bath is a division of Bathing Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved.