Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 27, 2016, 09:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

1,852 Posts in 715 Topics by 2,875 Members
Latest Member: Blakeitack
+  SteamSaunaBath User Forum
|-+  Steam Shower
| |-+  Steam Shower Design & Construction
| | |-+  can i install the temperature sensor low on the wall to get thicker steam and higher temperatures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: can i install the temperature sensor low on the wall to get thicker steam and higher temperatures  (Read 2177 times)

« on: March 04, 2009, 08:32:26 AM »

At the club, the steam output seems to vary quite a bit.  When we want more output from the steam machine, we simply cool off the wall mounted thermostat with a little water.  Being that I like it really hot and steamy, I would like this effect at all times when utilizing my steam shower at home. In talking to the maintenance director at the club, I have gatered the lower I mount the thermostat sensor probe  on/in the wall, the cooler temperature air it will see, resulting in the thermostat trying to warm up the room more, which means to me the effect I want. Right?  My contractor is not much help to us on this one, he tells me that doing it that way may be asking too much from my steam machine and cause premature failure. Is that true?

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:36:44 AM »

Yes, your contractor is correct.  User manipulation of the engineered operation of this equipment as you described is not recommended.  This is commonly referred to as equipment abuse and creates the potential for short cycling of the equipment, uneven steam room temperatures, premature failure of the unit, and warranty nullification.

Are you trying to increase the temperature or create more fog in your steam shower?  Steam is vapor and vapor is clear so increasing the temperature will not necessarily create more fog, if that is your goal.  Super heating the room will likely make the fog disappear since fog is created when hot meets cold, like the warm ground meeting the cool morning air.

Consider adding glass, windows, natural stone or marble, or similar wall materials which increase the heat loss factor of your steam shower environment.  This will aid in the creation of thick and foggy steam.  Another wonderful way to increase the fog factor is to turn on the water - the cooler the water, the thicker the fog potential.  Running water is also an amazing addition to the ambiance of your steam shower environment.

Proper sizing and design of your steam shower environment will afford you the opportunity to create an environment which satisfies your preferences and allows the equipment to operate in an optimal fashion.  Check out this design tool to learn more...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Copyright 2003-2016 © Steam Sauna Bath is a division of Bathing Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved.