Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2016, 11:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

1,851 Posts in 714 Topics by 2,852 Members
Latest Member: PetrovDip
+  SteamSaunaBath User Forum
|-+  Steam Shower
| |-+  Steam Shower Design & Construction
| | |-+  Do I need to account for structural expansion when building a steam room in a cold basement?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Do I need to account for structural expansion when building a steam room in a cold basement?  (Read 2035 times)

« on: February 19, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »

We are currently designing a steam room for our basement, which is a very cold enviroment. Due to the temperatures associated with steam, I am curious about the room expanding. Which brings up the question ; Should expansion room be built into the walls and cieling? As we do not want to expierence any cracking of walls/tile. Would a pre-fab fiberglass or plastic enclosure be a better choice for this?

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:05:09 PM »

This question should be answered by the manufacturer of the material you are using on your wall and your local contractor as it will affect your shower, with or without steam.

The average shower temperature ranges from 70-108 fahrenheit and the average steam shower temperature ranges from 100-135 fahrenheit - not a huge difference.  What this will affect is the sizing of the generator needed for your steam environment.

You can find construction specifics for steam shower environments here...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Copyright 2003-2016 © Steam Sauna Bath is a division of Bathing Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved.