HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 07, 2016, 10:24:25 AM
Username:
Password: 

Login with username, password and session length
Search

Stats
1,853 Posts in 716 Topics by 3,197 Members
Latest Member: 4r7ea
+  SteamSaunaBath User Forum
|-+  Sauna
| |-+  Sauna Bathing
| | |-+  Fabric stains from sauna benches
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Fabric stains from sauna benches  (Read 2295 times)
Michael

« on: February 19, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »

I frequently use the sauna in the local health club. the sauna is red cedar. for some reason it seems that my towel becomes discolored from sitting  on the bench. Is that normal? is there any way they can treat the wood so it soesn't stain or can you suggest a better non-staining wood for the sauna benches?
Misty
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »

While some saunas are constructed of Spruce, Alder, or Pine, Red Cedar is the wood of choice in most.  When using Cedar, Red Wood, or other soft woods, "Cedar Bleed" is not uncommon.  The properties of Cedar which make it so durable and ideal for sauna use are the very properties that contribute to this bleeding.

Chemically treating the wood can create health and environment hazards at these sauna temperatures and I would not recommend experimenting.

When using a public sauna or steam room, I always bring along an additional hand towel just for sitting on to satisfy my inner clean freak.  I would suggest a dark towel.  Cheesy

"Every man is the builder of a temple called his body."
~ Henry David Thoreau
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Copyright 2003-2016 © Steam Sauna Bath is a division of Bathing Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved.