HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2016, 07:54:10 AM
Username:
Password: 

Login with username, password and session length
Search

Stats
1,853 Posts in 716 Topics by 3,247 Members
Latest Member: MichaPheda
+  SteamSaunaBath User Forum
|-+  Sauna
| |-+  Sauna Bathing
| | |-+  Water in the Sauna
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Water in the Sauna  (Read 2467 times)
50undStone

« on: February 02, 2012, 07:23:18 AM »

We have a sauna in our home and it is equipped with a drain as my husband likes to throw buckets of water on himself while bathing.  While most of the water goes down the drain, some of it is seeping thru the wall...it also seems to be staining the wood.  What can we do to prevent the water from escaping thru the walls and keep the wood looking new?
Jennifer
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »

Not to alarm you but if water is getting through the walls, then I would questions how the walls were constructed.  Health clubs power wash their rooms and water does not penetrate the wood.  Some saunas even have a shower in them.
To avoid sweat and body oil stains, simply sit on a towel.  A light sanding should remove any stains.
Alex

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »

Hey, sounds like the way they sauna in the old country. In Russian baths they get the sauna very hot and when it becomes unbearable we pour a bucket of water over our heads to cool down and then start all over again. This is good. A dunk and a cool drink and you can go all day.
Jennifer is quite right I would question first the integrity of the walls; are they T&G boards and are there any spaces between boards that water might penetrate?
More likely the issue is going to be in the base of the sauna. The bottom row of boards or the bottom of the board if installed vertically should be installed at least 1/2" off the floor. This prevents wicking (sucking up and absorbing the water).
So check both for board spacing and board gaps and by all means keep using that bucket.
Finn

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »

We have a sauna in our home and it is equipped with a drain as my husband likes to throw buckets of water on himself while bathing.  While most of the water goes down the drain, some of it is seeping thru the wall...it also seems to be staining the wood.  What can we do to prevent the water from escaping thru the walls and keep the wood looking new?

Do you mean he only throws water to himself, and not to the stove? In some countries (japan, usa etc.) sauna rooms are sometimes NOT waterproofed as people there think you should not put any water to the stove.. or anywhere in sauna (in my point of view this is ridiculous). Also in my house, for some reason, shower is not on waterproof surface and water needs to be wiped after each shower use to the drain.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Copyright 2003-2016 © Steam Sauna Bath is a division of Bathing Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved.