HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 04, 2016, 08:19:50 AM
Username:
Password: 

Login with username, password and session length
Search

Stats
1,853 Posts in 716 Topics by 3,178 Members
Latest Member: Dallasnen
+  SteamSaunaBath User Forum
|-+  Sauna
| |-+  Sauna Rooms
| | |-+  traditional sauna vs. infrared energy costs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: traditional sauna vs. infrared energy costs  (Read 8965 times)
sarafina

« on: June 21, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »

We have been getting a lot of interest from our customers about infrared saunas, so we are considering offering one at our spa to compliment the traditional sauna we have now. Can you give us an idea about the energy consumption of an infrared? Would it be significantly more than the traditional one?

Thanks!
Jennifer
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »

Many factors are involved such as room size, room construction materials, what rate your electric company charges, etc.
An average residential traditional sauna is approx. 6' x 6' x 7' (4 people) and requires a 220/240v 6KW heater.  If the cost per kilowatt hour is 10 cents, the heating cost per hour is 60 cents.
An infrared average size is 34" x 45" x 66" (1-2 persons) with a power source of 120V and has an output of 1.6KW.  If the cost per kilowatt hour is 10 cents, then the heating cost per hours is 16 cents.
patchpal

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »

What are the benefits of the Infrared vs the traditional sauna?
Jennifer
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 04:00:45 PM »

A big difference between Infrared saunas and true Finnish style saunas is the temperature.  An infrared sauna generally operates between 115 and 135 fahrenheit while a traditional sauna operates between 180 to 200 fahrenheit.  Both types offer many health benefits and relaxation.

Which is better?  This is a wildly debated topic in the sauna industry.  What is most important for you to know is which one you prefer, as the experience is vastly different.  I would recommend trying both types of sauna and determining which environment you find more pleasing.

patchpal

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »

I heard most of the Infrared saunas are made in China and are of poor quality. How can I be sure i am getting a quality 'Made in America' sauna product?
Jennifer
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »

We at SteamSaunaBath only sell made in the USA Infrared products.
Steam and Sauna cabinets/enclosures made in China do not have representation for Technical Support in the USA nor do they provide decent installation & operation manuals.
It has been our experience that when a bather purchases a inexpensive China unit, they have difficulty with installation and about 1-year later they need service.

Click here for an example of two styles we offer that are made in Minnesota
USA Infrared
sarafina

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »

Many factors are involved such as room size, room construction materials, what rate your electric company charges, etc.
An average residential traditional sauna is approx. 6' x 6' x 7' (4 people) and requires a 220/240v 6KW heater.  If the cost per kilowatt hour is 10 cents, the heating cost per hour is 60 cents.
An infrared average size is 34" x 45" x 66" (1-2 persons) with a power source of 120V and has an output of 1.6KW.  If the cost per kilowatt hour is 10 cents, then the heating cost per hours is 16 cents.

Thanks for the response. I am surprised at the cost between the two, that is quite a difference. I don't think we would ever eliminate our traditional sauna since our clients love it, but the lower operating costs sure make the infrared more attractive as an additional offering.
Finn

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 07:49:05 AM »

[sorry for reviving this and some other threads]

If your spa has pools with chlorine water don't let customers wear swimming suit in sauna. Heat will make the chlorine go to gas form and its toxic and you shouldn't breathe it!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Copyright 2003-2016 © Steam Sauna Bath is a division of Bathing Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved.