You can overdo it in any
environment. Too much of a good thing...
The temperature range in a steam shower is 100°-135° Fahrenheit. In this environment your body heats up and causes you to sweat, providing many benefits including:
- soothing and relaxing tired muscles
- relieving tension, stress, and mental fatigue
- providing a cardiovascular workout
- increasing your metabolic rate
- improving blood circulation
- reducing arthritic discomfort
- releasing natural pain killers Beta-Endorphins and Norepinephrins
- relieving inflammation and congestion of upper respiratory mucous membranes
- increasing resistance to illness
- burning up to 300 calories, equal to running 1-3 miles
- nourishing and maintaining clear, healthy skin
- providing the ideal shaving environment
How long to stay in the environment is determined by many factors such as bathing style, health concerns, and personal preference. Many people bathe in the traditional Finnish style which involves heating up and cooling down repeatedly. In these instances, your entire bathing experience could take up to an hour! Others incorporate steam into their morning routine with a 5-10 minute warm up steam before showering, during which they may shave, condition, relax, or whatever their morning routine includes.
Whatever your preference, be sure to listen to your body... it will tell you when it has had enough.