HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2016, 07:28:40 AM
Username:
Password: 

Login with username, password and session length
Search

Stats
1,853 Posts in 716 Topics by 3,226 Members
Latest Member: Philliptup
+  SteamSaunaBath User Forum
|-+  Steam Shower
| |-+  Technical Support
| | |-+  SM-11: No Steam!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: SM-11: No Steam!  (Read 8593 times)
Bernard
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »

Elmle -

The less frequent water fill is a good sign.  Sounds like the valve is now holding.

I am concerned about the pressure relief valve.  This is the only other area steam can escape.  The spring is fine on this device.  The do not go bad unless they are abused.  I wish for you to open and close the pressure relief valve once or twice.  Raising the lever opens it and dropping the level closes it.  It is simple to close as the spring does all of the work.  The object is to make sure it is closed.  You should feel the forceful snap.

With the pressure relief valve and auto drain closed properly, the heat should be noticeable.  If not, then we would need a multimeter for further troubleshooting.

Let me know!

Elmle

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 12:32:43 AM »

Thanks Bernard,

A few actuations of the pressure relief valve and it looks like we have more progress; it was I'm the wrong position and now we're getting about twice as much steam!

It looks like it's filling nicely, although in an one hour cycle it's still not really getting very hot. The shower cubicle is all ceramic tiles, so I worry that it's just too cold for the steam to get a hold; I end up with a lot of condensation on the roof for sure.

It's capping out at 80F, when the manual says I should be able to get well over 100F. The steam head is badly installed, it's barely 5" above the floor when it should be 18". I'm not sure what else could affect the temperature... I think I'll leave it running for 2 or 3 hours tomorrow and see how it works.

Thank you again!
Bernard
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »

Elmle -

Can you upload a video of the steam-flow?  I would also like to see the size and orientation of your steam shower. 

By viewing this video, I would be able to provide input on the amount of steam entering the environment and the generator's operation.  Get me all you can.

As for the steam room temperature, please do not concern yourself with the control readout.  Rather, when you are bathing, determine if the room temperature satisfies you?  Steam bath temperature control temperature readouts can be impacted by many factors and are generally not a reliable method of determining a successful steam bathing experience.

Thanks for allowing me to assist!
Elmle

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »

There we are; that's the rate of steam flow that I get.  The system had only been activated for about 3 minutes before reaching this flow level.  For perspective, I was sat on the seat at the far end of the enclosure; it's a large, self-contained shower cubicle.  If you need clearer photos, let me know!

My initial thoughts are still that the fact it's a ceramic tiled shower room, the surfaces are so cold that it doesn't have much of a chance.  As soon as the steam hits the top, I get a pile of condensation:

Regarding the temperature, it's warm, but it's not hot in the traditional sense of a steam room.  I'm tempted to run the shower at full temperature for a while to heat the room up, then put the steam generator through a couple of cycles.  Right now, I barely feel the effect.
Bernard
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »

Elmle:

1.  How often does the unit take on water now?
2.  You mentioned the steam shower was used in the past.  How different is it now...do you recall?
3.  I would need video to get a sense of the steam production...but my hunch is that the unit is underperforming.

Advise.
Elmle

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »

Hi Bernard,

That first photo in my last post is a video; click on it to open it.

I don't recall what the shower used to be like as it was a very long time ago. I'm not certain it ever got very hot, I believe I used to think about running it for a full cycle to fill then using a second cycle to bathe. It might arguably be better now.
Bernard
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »

Elmle -

I watched the video...thank you.

How often does the steam generator take on water now?  Does the steam output ever increase from the way it enters the room in the video?  Is the drain line still hot during operation?

If the video is truly what you are experiencing all the time, the steam bath generator is not operating properly.  We need to eliminate the possibility that steam or hot water is exiting the drain line (drain or pressure relief valve) during operation.  The above questions will answer this for us. 

When you touch the drain line during operation (wait for steam to exit the outlet head), touch as far away as possible from the steam generator.

Let me know.
Elmle

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »

The flow is constant; I don't get "bursts" of steam, it just constantly flows at that rate. It doesn't seem to change. It does fill the cubicle very nicely, but the steam's just too cold to bathe in.

I'll fire up the system again after breakfast and see how the drain line behaves.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Copyright 2003-2016 © Steam Sauna Bath is a division of Bathing Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved.